Saturday 15 February 2014

Exposed Painting Zinc Yellow

 
 

Callum Innes, Exposed Painting Zinc Yellow. (oil on canvas)

A balance between control and the unpredictable, Innes' work could be called 'deliberately accidental'. This painting is divided horizontally and vertically into different areas: one area is left exposed while a different area is covered in a flat, even layer of bright yellow paint. In the third area the artist has removed paint from the surface whilst still wet, washing it away with turpentine to leave a ghost of the original colour.


This painting is part of the University of Warwick's vast art collection. You can see a small part of their collection here, in an exhibition that was curated by some of the students of the Arts Faculty of the University. I came across the Callum Innes painting which is hanging in one of the corridors of the Maths department when I attended The Female Gaze Symposium.



4 comments:

  1. A very nice painting. I enjoyedthe exhibition of his work that was on at the Whitworth in Manchester last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like his work too, Mick. I have only seen bits here and there though. I would have enjoyed a whole exhibition.

      Delete
  2. Eirene, you might like this Tate video about Callum Innes' working method: http://www.calluminnes.com/studio/film/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga, thank you. I really enjoyed watching that and found it very informative. I have kept it in my favourites.

      Delete