Monday 22 April 2013

The MAC

 
 

The MAC (Metropolitan Arts Centre), designed by Hackett Hall McKnight architects, is wedged between two existing buildings on a hemmed-in corner plot that sits beside the city cathedral.






A glazed tower sits atop the volcanic stone facade creating a beacon above the surrounding rooftops.






The back and side of the building draws its inspiration from the traditional brick warehouse and mill buildings of Belfast






but with a very definite modern twist





A long and narrow atrium divides the building into two halves and is surrounded by walls of exposed
concrete and brickwork.





the entrance hall but from a different angle





the stairs seen from the entrance hall





I was very impressed with the hospitality at the MAC. As I came through the doors I was greeted by one of the staff, who explained everything there was to see, who told me that I could take as many photographs I would want, sold me a programme (£3 - great value, I thought) and who furthermore, gave me two little chocolate eggs!





Another view of the entrance hall from above





The first floor landing with views of Saint Anne's square





a closer look at that settee





Looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment